Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How is Your Sense of Direction?

How is your sense of direction? My husband, Galen, has a great sense of direction and never gets lost. He has an almost uncanny knack of memory when it comes to places and direction. He tries to direct me by landmarks, which is helpful, but I need street names, too. I often get lost by over-thinking the directions that I have been given rather than trusting the person who told me. 

My husband and I have totally different skill sets when it comes to driving places, too. If we were to set off from the same place with the same destination it would be very likely that we would not get there the same way. It is sometimes comical, but more frequently a bone of contention between us if we are riding together. We'll be cruising along and I will be expecting him to turn and he doesn't. This raises my level of concern, certain that he is confused about our destination - I blurt out, "Where are you going?” Of course, he knows where we are going; he just isn't going the way I would go. I try not to ask, but if time is an issue I really feel like I must make sure we are going where we I think we are, much though I know it annoys him.

Do you suppose God feels that way about us sometimes? When we veer from the path He has planned for us can you just imagine him smacking his palm to his forehead saying, "Child, WHERE are you going? That is not the path I created for you to walk on!" Our feet are placed upon the wrong trail by the choices we make. Often we pray without waiting for an answer or willfully make a decision without seeking guidance. Then we turn around and complain when we end up broken and miserable in the mess we have created through our  disobedience.  Have you ever chosen a path you thought was the right one that ended up being a huge mistake? I certainly have. Hopefully we learn from those and come back stronger and wiser than before. Some decisions are just so hard to make. Which way do I go, Lord? What are you asking of me? PLEASE make it clearer to me! Are giant neon signs too much to ask? Wouldn't it be nice if every once in a while God gave you one of these:





No mistaking that sign at all. Looking back at my own life I can think of several occasions where a sign such as this would have been extremely helpful! Thankfully, God didn't leave us alone here to wonder what we are supposed to be doing with our lives. He provided us with a fully loaded instruction manual, the Bible. God also provided us with wise council in the Holy Spirit. We just have to quiet ourselves enough to listen to that small voice inside guiding us. When we fill our every moment with noise it is impossible to hear what the Spirit is saying. "Be still, and know that I am God". (Psalm 46:10)

God is with you at every turn. When you step the wrong way, He is waiting patiently for you with open arms. Don't think the mistakes or the poor choices you have made are too big for your God to forgive. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:38-39)

For the big choices you need to make, make the time to spend communicating with your Creator, listen to your Counselor and read the provided manual. Save those minor directional problems for your friends, Tom-Tom and Garmin. Or, if you are lucky to be married to a directional genius like me, just pipe down and let him drive! I guarantee he will appreciate your efforts! : )

In His Peace -

1 comment:

  1. I pray everyday for my kids, hubby and I to do just this!!

    Being that I'm married to a pilot, he has a very keen sense of direction in a physical sense. I'm the one corralling the spiritual. I think that is a good match :o)

    ReplyDelete