Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First turn toward Fall





I am surprised at how long it has been since I have written here. Life has had me more bogged down than I would like, and I haven't had a lot of positive and encouraging thoughts to share with you. I have a few minutes today,  but I am not promising anything beautiful, amazing or thought provoking. : )


The weather has changed toward fall. I love fall. I wish the crisp mornings and bright, blue-skied days would last all year. It has been cool enough this week that I had to break out my slippers and favorite fleece shirt. Seems odd that only a couple weeks ago we were sweltering in 100 degree temperatures.

Fall brings Hummingbirds at the Jensen house. We don't get them until August here. Strangely, they are in the area in early spring, but we never get them at our place until mid-August and they will stay until they migrate in October. Typically we will have 2-4 juveniles here feeding - this year we have at least 6 and possibly 8. They are such amazing little birds. Two nights over the Labor Day weekend I sat outside on our deck with my camera. I kept getting so enthralled watching them that I would forget to take pictures. I did get some great shots, but took much more delight in watching them zoom around. They seem to be more curious than fearful of my presence in their feeding area.  Have you ever tried to take pictures of Hummingbirds? My desire has been to get a picture of more than one as they are defending the feeder. By the time my eye sends the signal to my brain and my brain sends the signal to my finger the Hummingbirds are gone. They are so fast! I have taken hundreds of pictures over the past couple weeks and have about 25 keeper shots. Thank goodness for digital photography!

I am thankful that during the craziness that arrives with the start of the school year, that I can still find small windows of time that can be spent admiring God's creation.

So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:21 NIV)

In His Peace -

No comments:

Post a Comment