Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stylish Blogger Award


Today has not been a good day. I have had a mind-numbing migraine for about 14 hours. The longest ever. It is starting to fade and I  have just reached the point where I can focus my eyes. Of course, the first thing I focus on is my blog feed for the day. Priorities, you know. My first stop was Beautiful in Him and Allison was writing about her blog receiving a "Stylish Blogger Award" and she in turn nominated others for the same award. Bless her little heart, she picked my little blogspot as one which has been a blessing to her. I had to read it twice. I was sure it was my migraine fogged head playing tricks on me.I am surprised and humbled by this recognition. So, keeping with the rules of the award, here are seven things about me you may not know.

1) I have five siblings: Gail, Monica, Doug, Greg and Keith. I am the youngest. I was born three days before my oldest sisters fifteenth birthday. She says I was the best present ever. : )

2) As a young teenager my first job was pulling eggs at a hen house. I think I lasted two weeks. I still have a strong dislike for chickens. I also worked on two different berry farms. One summer I picked strawberries (which is very hard on the knees!) and another I picked Loganberries and Currants.

3) In my late teens and early 20's I worked for a small, regional airline in the Pacific Northwest. We still did our reservations and ticketing by hand. I had to learn to be a weather reporter for this job. We submitted hourly reports to the national weather service and gave pilots current landing conditions. Later in my airline career I transferred to Seattle and my supervisor and I were part of the very first group of women to be allowed to work loading airplanes. The men there cut us absolutely no slack. We were ground breakers, it was rather empowering.

4) I had horses growing up. I loved everything about them. They were wonderful companions and comfort when life was rough. Over the years I had four: Gooch, Princess, Belle Star and Billy. When I had Gooch I was too little to saddle him myself and my Dad showed up every day after school to help me get ready to ride.

5) My parents owned a restaurant for the majority of my growing up years. I did every job in that building but cook and tend bar. When I was in elementary school the morning cook would make my school lunch. Her name was Jean and I would stop by her window and pick up my lunch bag on my way to school.

6) I am from Washington, my husband is from Iowa. We met at the 1990 wedding of a mutual friend. We have been together ever since. We dated long distance for a year, made ATT a small fortune, then I moved to Iowa. We will celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary this year.

7) My husband's name is Galen. We have three children: Emily, Rachel and Cameron. They are 16, 13 and 9 all three are amazingly smart and I am so excited to see what God will do with all that brain power. We also have three dogs all adopted from the local shelter: Sadie, Lilly and Boomer. Two rabbits: Missy and Silverstreak (named after a rabbit I had briefly as a kid -- the neighbor's dog ate it) and a black cat named Cookie. My husband has likened our house to a zoo. I am not sure if that is because of the children or the animals or a combination of both!

I think that may have ended up to be more than seven actual things. I was pretty wordy for a gal with a headache! The wonderful part of being about being honored with this award is passing it along to others. Here are four blogs that I enjoy, I believe you will be blessed by them as well -

Comforted by God by Carrie Cooper
The Old Geezer Blog  by The Old Geezer (of course!)
Everyday Becky  by Becky Avella
Trailing After God by Melinda Todd

Have a Wonderful Wednesday -

In His Peace --

2 comments:

  1. Glad I could make your day a little better! Hope the migrane goes away and stays away! Loved to learn more about you! I don't even know what a Loganberry is LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing -- You are not alone in your lack of Loganberry knowledge, they are very localized. A Loganberry is a cross between a Blackberry and a Raspberry. There was a big Loganberry farm on the island I grew up on (the island part would have been appropriate to include on my 7 things list!) they made jams, jellies, sauces and wine from them.

    ReplyDelete