Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful Thursday: Parents


Thankful Thursday is here again!

This morning as I blogged about my own struggles as a parent, I realized again how some of my choices, behaviors and attitudes must have been not always (ahem) pleasant for my parents. I have apologized and hopefully been forgiven.When my first child arrived in the world I had this sudden whoosh of realization, a revelation of sorts, of how much my parents loved me. It was an eye-opening experience.

So, on this Thankful Thursday I would like to officially be thankful for my parents. Aren't they cute? My mother is going to fuss about that picture, but it makes me smile.

I am thankful that I still have my parents, so many have already lost theirs.  I do wish that we lived closer and could spend more time together. I am thankful that my mother can operate a computer and we can send e-mails, IM for a quick chat or Skype and actually see each other. Now, if she'd just learn to text....  : )

I am happy the two of them have stuck together for so many years. I know it wasn't easy. I am happy they have each other and can golf, travel and enjoy their lives together.

I am thankful for the many hours they have spent on the road to come to Iowa to visit or driving to the airport to pick us up. I am thankful for the years of tear-drying, hand-holding and listening to me vent. Although I certainly wasn't thankful for it at the time, I am thankful for the discipline and boundaries, I know they were issued with love. I am thankful they put up with me and didn't just duct tape me into a closet until I quit being sassy. Hmmmm.... I suppose that means I would still be there!

I am thankful for the relationships my parents have worked to cultivate with my children even across the miles. My children love them dearly and that warms my heart.

Thank you, Mom and Dad,  for being who you are and loving me for who I am. ILYAM. XO. Me

2 comments:

  1. Well, sob-sob, sniff-sniff....Your mom and dad are overcome by your Thankful Thursday blog. Thanks so much for those words...because we so many, many, many times wish we could have been so much better parents than we were. We love you So Much! MeMom and HimDad WLYAM

    ReplyDelete