Thursday, November 18, 2010

You Lead... I follow?


"In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. 
 


I had to laugh at the Family Circus cartoon -- this is so us with God. How often do you say you want to follow and desire to do his will and then turn around and do whatever you want? Probably more frequently than any of us would like to admit.

We are currently struggling with some behavior issues in our nine year-old son. He seems to be under the impression he can do what he pleases regardless of what we tell him he should be doing. I cannot even begin to explain the frustration and strife this is causing in our house. I am at a loss as to how to make this situation better because so far everything I have tried is making him just dig in his heels in defiance. Frankly, it makes me want to scream and tear out my hair. You would certainly not be wasting prayer if you were to pray for us. I am in great need of guidance, clarity and patience.

As I showed up for my quiet time this morning with my jaw clenched and my frustration level somewhere around Jupiter I wondered how often God feels that way about me. Does he shake his head and roll his eyes in frustration at my stubbornness and refusal to listen? I shudder to think of all the times I have dissappointed him. Certainly makes me ever more thankful for the Grace of God. He is so good.

How many times do you suppose my parents wanted to wring my little neck? I wonder if I should call them and apologize -- again. Sigh.....  Parenting is not for sissies. I am convinced it is the hardest job there is. We try to lead to the best of our abilities. There are days the children follow us in compliant obedience and others days are spent feeling like you are trying to put a leash on a tornado. I have been in a tornado situation for many days now, guess it is time for me to stop trying to lead and to give it up to the one who is really in charge: God..

 
Help me as a parent, Lord, with my weaknesses and imperfections. Give me strength and godly wisdom to raise my children. Please supply what I lack. Help me keep my tongue and my frustrations in check. Guide my children every day, protect them from evil. Help them to overcome the temptations in this world and the sin that would so easily entangle them. I desire for each of them to have a wonderful relationship with you that will endure for eternity. Please keep me from doing anything to stand in the way of that. Lead me every day, Lord, so I can parent them in a way that is pleasing to you. In Jesus name. Amen.



Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment