Friday, January 28, 2011

A Foggy Surprise

In our little corner of the world this morning the fog was so thick I could barely see the trees in our yard. This is a photo I snapped on my phone as I returned from taking the girls to school. There should be a valley full of trees and a bridge in that picture, but all you could see was a vast expanse of murk and a few dark shadows.

As the sun started to rise and daylight began to seep through the fog you could see that the moisture had frozen to the trees in a beautiful display of hoar frost. Oh how I was wishing I had my 'real' camera with me. The trees were so pretty, but with the fog it would have been impossible to get a good picture with a cell phone camera.

As I returned from my next journey out  I noticed a stretch of road where all the trees only had frost on one side. It made for an interesting visual, particularly on the pine trees where the half green and half white coloring was quite striking.

About half way home, still kicking myself that I didn't have the good camera (and wondering if I could justify purchasing a small, good quality camera to carry in my purse at all times), I break out of the fog and into a pocket of bright blue sky and morning sun. What a surprise! Right about then I was wishing I hadn't left my sunglasses at home!

As my eyes adjust to the now painfully bright light,  I see a valley of still frost covered trees glistening in the sunshine. They were stunning against the bright blue Midwestern winter sky. Again, my cell phone camera didn't do it justice --


I would have tried to get another couple shots to make sure I got a good one, but I quickly realized that pulling over to the side of the road when it is foggy all around you isn't the brightest idea on the planet. So, I snapped my two pictures and moved on.




Guess what? I went less than a quarter of a mile and was deep in the fog once again. I had just enough of a glimpse in just the light and just the right place for me to be able to pull over and take the picture and capture the beauty I had been admiring all morning.

What a wonderful gift for my Friday morning. God is just amazing like that, isn't He?

Have you had a fun God moment recently?

In His Peace --

1 comment:

  1. Love those little glimpses of Him that He lets us see when we take the time to notice them! The pics were beautiful...but looks COLD!

    ReplyDelete