Friday, January 7, 2011
I have been totally slacking off on Thankful Thursdays since the end of our thirty days of thankfulness in November. Somehow Thursdays keep slipping right on by me. In light of my forgetfulness we will call this Forgetful Friday.
This week I am thankful for winter. Seriously. I know, a surprising statement from the woman whose cold weather Tweets are frequently followed by #Ihatewinter. I will admit that I hate being cold, but winter does have it's advantages for me. Our business is seasonal and winter is our (mostly) off season, although we are still working, we are working a LOT less.
1) No 70 hour work weeks for me. I could do this all year and be perfectly happy.
2) No 70+ hour work weeks for my spouse. It is so nice to have him around.
3) With my spouse around the house I have a second driver which means less kid running for me! No more trying to be two or three places at once. Galen even fills my car with gas in the winter so I don't have to stand out in the cold. One of the many reasons why I love him so dearly.
4) Available time for naps. One of my favorite winter perks.
5) Free time! Time to catch up on genealogy or play Wii or board games as a family. (Galen and I love to play Super Mario Bros. on the Wii)
6) No lawn mowing! This by itself clears 4 hours a week off my schedule.
7) Show choir season - extra work, extra money, but one happy teenage daughter. : )
8) Flannel sheets and down comforters - how can you not like all that fluffy, warm softness?
9) Hot chocolate and popcorn parties with the kids. It just isn't the same when it isn't cold out.
10) More reading time. I can't even count how many books I have plowed through this winter.
I could probably come up with just as long a list of things I don't like about winter, but since I am focusing on being thankful I better leave it at the good stuff.
I hope you can find something to enjoy even on the dreariest of winter days!